I think it’s safe to say by now that I’m a real lover of Raw brownies. Just the gooey, chocolatey taste has me every single time. Not to mention that these little babies are free from refined sugar, dairy and are vegan and gluten friendly. The hazelnut base tastes just like a ferrero rocher and the caramel layer adds to the flavour. Basically a combination of all my favourite flavours!
I’m going to cut to the chase and get straight to it because I know you really don’t want a massive long introductory speech about how amazing these brownies are, what I done today and how my whole family loved this recipe. Nope, you’re here purely for the recipe. Simples.
Serves 8 big slabs
400g hazelnuts blitzed into a flour
100g raw hazelnuts to pulse in at the end
300g pitted soft medjool dates
5 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ teaspoon salt
430g medjool dates
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp peanut butter
Cocoa+ chocolate to drizzle on top (optional)
– Firstly, begin by soaking both sets of your dates in boiling hot water to soften. Set this aside.
– Whizz the first 400g of hazelnuts in a food processor until you have a flour like substance.
– Add in all other brownie ingredients, apart from the remaining hazelnuts. Process until the mixture is well mixed and sticky.
– Now add in the remaining hazelnuts and process until the nuts have been broken down into small pieces. You want to be able to still see small pieces of nut – so don’t overdo this step!
– Place the mix into a brownie tin and smooth the mix out across the tin so that it’s an even level. Place this into the fridge to set whilst you make the caramel layer.
– For the caramel layer add all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz together until a sticky paste has formed. Make sure everything is well mixed.
– Spread the mixture on top of the brownie layer and finish with a drizzle of Cocoa+ chocolate (optional) or dark chocolate of your choice.
– Place back in the fridge to set for half an hour and then eat when you’re ready. AKA, as soon as possible.